Friday, January 21, 2011

This isn't exactly what you would call "meatloaf"

This is a spin on an old classic meal.. but with a lot more fiber and color. I was making it and my husband came in and said "What are you making sweetie?"  I said "Meatloaf."  He looked at me like I was crazy and said "I am not sure you can call that meatloaf, not with all those veggies!"  The vegetables made it very moist, stretched that expensive meat just a little farther, and added lots of flavor.












You Will Need: 
- Veggies that are easily grated, chopped, or are small
What I used
 - Green and Red Peppers
 - Carrots
 - Spinach
 - Frozen corn
Some other ideas
 - zucchini
 - squash

- Fresh Parsley
- Potatoes
- Asparagus
- Turkey Sausage
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
 - Canned diced tomatoes
 - Balsamic vinegar
 - Oats
 - Flax seeds
 - Whole Wheat bread
 - Parmesan or Asiago Cheese
 - Seasonings of your choice (I used thyme, oregano, rosemary, and basil)
- A food processor with a grater attachment or a lot of patience to grate by hand.
 - A blender if you don't have a food processor.


Start by preparing your potatoes as they take the longest time.  Wash them and cut them into pieces that about the same size. You can do this with sweet potatoes and russets also work well. 
Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and your choice of fresh or dried herbs. 
Place potatoes in a 400 degree oven
Grate carrots and peppers.  Add chopped up spinach and fresh parsley. 
In your food processor add about a cup and half of oats, a tablespoon of flax seed, and two slices of whole wheat bread.
Blend until it resembles bread crumbs. 
Put oat, bread, and flax mixture in with your vegetables, corn,  ground turkey sausage and four egg whites. Add salt, pepper, and seasonings that fit your taste. 
Blend all together - You may have to get your hands messy! 
Grease a bread pan well, and you may want to add some tinfoil or parchment paper to keep it from sticking. Form the meat loaf. 
In your food processor add about a half a can of diced tomatoes and about two tablespoons balsamic vinegar (way better than ketchup wouldn't you say?) 
Cover your meatloaf with the tomato mixture.
Put in 400 degree oven with potatoes.  This will take a little over an hour to cook.  So do some other stuff, clean your kitchen, fold laundry, or whatever.

This next part takes literally three minutes to cook, so don't do it until your meatloaf is close to done, then you can turn your oven off and let it stay warm while you do this. 
Take one asparagus spear and grab and both ends, bend to see where it snaps. This will get rid of the really woody part, line it up with the rest of your asparagus and use it as a guide to cut everything else.  I have mine on the top, if you look close maybe you can see it. 
Heat up a pan on high heat with some olive oil and if you desire a half of a Tablespoon of butter. 



Add asparagus when the pan is hot and the butter is bubbling. 
Toss until coated for just about a minute until the asparagus is bright green.  It will still be kind of crunchy. 
Grate a little bit of parmesan or Asiago cheese. 
You are all done! Enjoy your "meatloaf". 

4 comments:

  1. Brianne! I learned something about canned tomatoes and I thought I would pass it along to you since you're the Queen of Health Nuts! :)

    Evidently you shouldn't eat tomatoes in any kind of can, only glass jars. They coat the sides of tin cans with BPA, which normally doesn't affect the food. But since tomatoes are so acidic, they absorb the BPA so you shouldn't eaten any tomato products out of cans!

    Here's the article: http://healthmad.com/nutrition/why-you-shouldnt-eat-canned-tomato-sauce/

    I love your blog! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it didn't post it before but I said basically -
    You are so awesome Briana! Thanks for the information, I read the article and I it helped me understand why BPA was bad because I didn't know! I already buy my tomato sauce for spaghetti in a bottle but I never thought about canned tomatoes, they, along with beans are about the only things I buy in a can. I hope I can find some tomatoes in a jar that isn't too expensive, or I may have to take up tomato canning in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with your ability to cook this way while pregnant... I get nauseous just going to the grocery store and seeing food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was for the very first part, I hated food so much I wanted to die! I finally had to give in and take some medication for the nausea because I just kept throwing up and throwing up. But now I feel great and just normal most of the time.

    ReplyDelete