Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fun Springtime Cupcakes

These were really fun and cute!!! I am just showing you how I decorated them and you can use what kind of cake you like.  I used the buttercream frosting that is also posted with the strawberry cake. 



I made my own sprinkles, and they didn't work out so well because I didn't have all the stuff - But they were fun and tasted yummy so this is what you do.  Add two egg whites to one pound of sugar (or 4 cups). 

Mix until it kind of acts like a lot of cornstarch added to water.   It spread when you don't touch it but when you tough it is seems to turn solid. 

Color it whatever color you like.  I kneaded the color in until I got what I wanted. 

I was going to do yellow and green, the yellow didn't work out and I'll explain later. 

This is where I didn't have what I needed.  Because this is so thick plastic bag DO NOT work.  You will need some real piping bags and a very very small piping tip.  I have some they are just in storage or at my moms - not sure which :S.  Pipe the sprinkles on some wax paper. 

I thinned out the yellow with some water, but it was too thin and so it went flat and then never ever dried.  The green worked well but it just kept breaking the bag so I didn't even get all of it out of it. 

Wait 24 hours and then pull the sticks from the wax paper. 

Chop with a knife to desired length. 

I colored some sugar for the different colors.  Just put a couple of drops of food color in with some sugar in a bag and shake it until everything is colored. 

I then took air heads and microwaved them for 5 seconds to get them soft and then I rolled them thin with a rolling pin. 

I traced the shape I wanted with a toothpick and then cut it out with some kitchen scissors. 


I then used a butter-knife to press in a little line down the center. 

Then some little dents off the side.  

I shaped the leaves a little bit more dramatically than I wanted them to be in the end because they would relax and the air heads cooled all the way.  


I put all my sugars in different bowls to be ready for the cupcakes. 

I frosted each cupcake

Then pressed them in the sugar. 

I put in a blow pop, but I am sure any colorful sucker would work. 

Some I put sprinkles on too. 







So cute! 


No comments:

Post a Comment