Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Strawberry Cake with Real Buttercream Frosting!

This cake - like most cakes baked at high altitude fell :(.  It doesn't look super great but I am putting up the recipe because someone from my family asked me too.  If you can avoid it falling, it was a super yummy cake!!! 





I threw out the cake recipe because it fell at high altitude and so it's pretty much useless to me.  Any white or yellow cake recipe will work.  I like to look at several on different baking sites and try to pick the highest rated one.  I am still looking for a white cake that works at high altitudes.  I found a great one for chocolate but not for normal cake yet :(.  Better luck to you!

For the filling:
1 package of frozen strawberries (16 oz)  I  bet you could use fresh strawberries too!
2 Tablespoons corn starch
1/2 cup of sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

If you didn't want to put this one the top, and just use it for the filling you could probably half or quarter this recipe.  It doesn't really matter if you have it exact just taste it and adjust as you go to your liking.
Defrost the strawberries and add all the in all the other ingredients.  Puree in a blender or food processor.  Thicken on the stove over medium heat until thickened.  It has to boil to thicken, but you'll need to keep stirring it so the bottom doesn't stick and burn.

The frosting was really the most important part that made it the best.  I used the following recipe but I made sure to add some rum extract. This is the second best frosting I have ever tried.  The other my Aunt Sheila has and I haven't gotten it from her yet.  But I will one day :D!!  The pictures I took of the frosting were actually on my second attempt at it that worked out better when I used it for some cupcakes.


Ingredients
5 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Butter
1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)
Preparation Instructions
In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla.
While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.



My suggestion for this recipe is to beat and beat and beat and when you think you have beaten enough beat some more!!!
I took some pictures to help out a little bit more because I think it is a little difficult to get, I messed it up a little the first time. 

I whisked the flour and milk really well to begin with. 

I cooked it until it started to pull away from the sides and get goopy like this.  I read several similar recipes and after experimenting this is the way that worked out the best that came out with the best frosting.  

This is what the butter and sugar looked like before I added the flour and milk thing.  

I thought at first that I should leave it a little warm to help melt the sugar but I ended up with a grainy and thin frosting.  You have to let it cool for some reason before you can add it to the frosting - I do not know why.  I used an ice bath to cool it down, I just filled a bowl with ice from the freezer and then water and then put the pan in it to cool it down. 

This is what it looks like when it is all whipped up, it is really white even though there is butter in it.  Super fluffy too!   I added the extract and some red food coloring at this point. 
  




To assemble the cake just put some strawberry filling in the center and then frost the whole thing with the buttercream.  Put the extra filling on the top.  I put some fresh strawberries on the top to finish.  



No comments:

Post a Comment