Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What to do with all these sun-chokes?

This is what a sun-choke looks like before being peeled. 
Welcome to my life Sun-chokes! I had never seen or tasted these things in my life.  However, I got probably about 2 lbs of them in my Bountiful Basket.  I asked "What are these?" and these little kids told me "Artichokes."  "Artichokes huh?"  with a slight bit of disbelief in my voice, for I knew from my life experience, with was far more than these kiddies, that these were not artichokes.  So I went up to this old lady and said "What are these?"  and she said "Artichokes."  So now I am really confused.  When I left they gave me paper explaining what these tuberous looking things were.  They are Jerusalem "artichokes" or  "sun-chokes". Why they call them Jerusalem artichokes I have no idea because they are from America and aren't artichokes at all. They are the roots of sunflowers!  They are a root so they are sort of like a potato thing, slightly sweeter, not as sweet and jicama, but not as bitter as a potato.  You will probably just have to try them one day.  They apparently can be eaten raw, but I thought they tasted much much better after they were cooked.  I was really excited to try them since I had no idea what to expect.  At least in this dish they were EXCELLENT!!! I wouldn't mind having this over and over again.  However - I won't claim this is low in fat, but you can decide by your standards if you consider it healthy or not....   

So I peeled all the sunchokes, and then I sliced them in the food processor really thin.  I then put some oil in a pan and added some garlic and onions.  I let the garlic and onions soften and the sunchokes also start to soften.  

I realized the sunchokes were going to need some more help, so after sauteing some mushrooms in for awhile I added some vegetable broth to help them steam and get softer.  
This is the ONLY broth I can find that is void of MSG in the whole store.  Even the chicken broth by the same company says "natural flavoring" - Which generally means MSG.  I guess that stuff is natural?  So I get this because I know what each thing is on the label - Just organic vegetable and herbs.  Nothing vague, and nothing I don't know what it looks like. Stupid MSG intolerance, makes things all complicated and expensive. 

I then added about 1/2 cup of heavy cream.  
I covered the mix and allowed everything to soak in and let the sunchokes steam.  I finally realized that they will still be a little more firm that potatoes, but you can still poke them with a fork when they are done. They have a crunchy aspect like a water-chestnut.  That would be the best way to explain their firmness when done - a water-chestnut.  If you can see I added about 4 oz.  of neufatel cheese.  - Hence why you may have to decide if you really consider this healthy.  I was going to use mascarpone cheese - but I guess they don't sell that anymore here.  I guess not enough people bought it.  
Melt all the cheese down and it will make a thick sauce.   
I then mixed in a handful of fresh parsley and about 2 cups of spinach, cut into strips. 
And there we have it!! I sprinkled it with some Asiago cheese as well. The sunchokes were so so yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment