Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mini salmon balls, indian cauliflower, and grapefruit green salad.

This was really yummy and satisfying! I had my worries about it, especially when I saw what canned Salmon looks like. I also worried that the salmon balls would turn out hard because I did them in oven and didn't pan fry them.  I wanted the salmon balls to be cute and fun to eat - and they were! The lemon made the extra tasty. I made my own dressing for the Salad and that was also wonderful.  I have to say, I like all the dishes they have out there for cauliflower, I never thought I would like it so much or that it was so versatile.  I have looked at many many things for cauliflower and it has really made me think of this vegetable in a different way.




This is the Salmon I used. 

It looked pretty scary - all the skin and bones was still there!!! ahhhh.  It was a little gross but I just scraped off the skin with a spoon and found the places with the bone and took them out... I am sorry to say I think a few bones escaped. 

I just crumbled it up and went through a few times with my hands to make sure all the bones were gone. 


I then added one celery stock chopped up really small,  a half a can of water chestnuts - also cut up real small, and a handful of fresh chopped parsley.  Dill would also be beautiful in these little balls.  Followed by about a tablespoon of dijon mustard and two eggs whites.  I try to avoid egg yolks where it is possible to still get a good product because one egg yolk contains about 86% of your daily cholesterol and you should try and only eat a total of 6-7 whole eggs in one week.  You can have as many egg whites as you want though - well within reason. 

Mix it all up with about 1 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.  I used two slices of bread, a little bit of flax seeds, and a handful of  almonds like I normally do and used the whole thing. 
Spray a baking pan with olive oil. 

Roll these into little cute balls.  I thought they would be fun as balls, but my original plan was to make them into to salmon patties.  You can do either, just make sure they are all about the same size so they get done around the same time. Put them in a 450 degree oven. 
Chop up two tomatoes, 1/2 bell pepper and whole head of cauliflower.  I just removed the green parts from the head and then just cut the whole head in slices, it saved on time and was a new look for cauliflower. 
Heat up some oil - I added butter because I thought it would help with the browning but in hindsight I really didn't need and it didn't add that much to the flavor, so just skip that.  I used Canola Oil this time.  I then grated up some fresh ginger and added a large tablespoon of minced garlic. 
I mixed it all up and then added Paprika, ground coriander, and cumin. 
Allow it to get all fragrant, it seriously smells so gooood! 
Add you tomatoes, peppers, and cauliflower.  Stir and coat with seasoning as best you can.  
Add chicken broth and wine, if desired, into pan.  Add enough that there is about 1/2 inch of liquid on the bottom of the pan. 
Cover and allow the cauliflower to steam and get soft.  When it is soft, remove the lid and allow the rest of the liquid to evaporate and everything to get browned.  This take awhile - so it would be a smart time to do your salad. 
I know I did this with an orange, but just in case you didn't want to look back.  Cut off the top and bottom so  you can clearly see where the fruit starts. 
Cut off the peel.  As you can see I sucked all the leftover fruit off the peels - It was so good and grapefruit smelled so wonderful.  
Cut out the sections. 
I did two grapefruits so I could eat what was left over and then squeezed the juice from the skins that were left over after taking out the sections. I put this in a separate bowl to make my salad dressing. 
So I just added Balsamic vinegar (about 1/8 cup), olive oil( about 1/8 cup, maybe a bit more), flax seed, some salt and pepper, and some honey (about a Tablespoon). 
Just whisk it all up. 
When things start sticking to the bottom and getting a nice brown color on them, it is done! I could have and should have waited longer to get more browning on the Cauliflower  - but I was anxious and my in laws propane stove is slow to brown because it doesn't get very hot. 
Top Cauliflower with cilantro if desired and have your salad with whatever greens, veggies, and nuts you like.  I had red peppers, summer squash, the grapefruit, and almonds. 
I also added some lemon wedges for the Salmon balls. There you have it, yummy stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. Your balsamic vinaigrette looks yummy! You know you can eat the bones and skin that are in the canned salmon... the canning process makes the bones super soft. It is an odd texture, but holy calcium! (Also my four-year-old likes eating bones. It makes him "feel like a dinosaur")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Amber! Thanks! I don't know if I could do the skin - but That would be really fun to eat the bones - I want to feel like a dinosaur too!!! lol It would be good to eat the whole thing especially if you were in a starving situation, lots of good nutrients in those extra parts!

    ReplyDelete