Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy cauliflower pasta thing!

So I really can't take all that much credit for this since I practically followed a recipe from food network.  It was actually so good and healthy already I didn't hardly change a thing, other than some adjustments because I didn't have some the exact stuff.  You can look at the original recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/paccheri-pasta-with-cauliflower-and-spinach-recipe/index.html.  I loved this, it was fresh, spicy and fulfilling all in one.  Plus it's inexpensive to make and went together very quickly.  The sauce is pretty thin, but it infused into all the pasta so I wasn't left wishing there was more flavor. 
You will need: 
Salted water  in a large pot 
A steamer
cauliflower
Spinach
Pasta of your choice
Green olives or capers 
Cheese (just for garnish and is optional) 
Parsley
Crushed or diced tomatoes
Garlic 
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Chicken or vegetable broth
Get a large pot of salted water on to boil. 
Chop up one head of cauliflower. 

I had this top, I think it's actually for straining noodles, but I thought it would work as steamer that I could use while my pasta cooked.  So I just put the cauliflower in here.  You could use a steamer in another pan or you could boil it if you didn't have a steamer until it is soft.  But steamers really help the nutrients stay more intact. 

Cover and wait for water to boil. 
When the water is to a rolling boil remove the steamer and add pasta. 
Make sure to add some oil to the water since you have a lid on so it won't boil over.  I used three cups of pasta and it was about right for four people to have a good plate of pasta. 
Chop up 1 bunch of spinach. 
Get your toppings reading. Green olives, parsley, and I used some Asiago cheese. 
Oil a skillet. 
Add about three tablespoons of pre-minced garlic and one tablespoon of red pepper flakes. 
Saute until garlic is soft and the mix is fragrant. 
My cauliflower was done at this point. Just wait until you can put your fork in it easily. 
Add to your garlic and pepper. Cook until Cauliflower starts to brown and you are getting brown sticking on the bottom. I probably could have gone a little longer. 
Deglaze your pan with chicken broth getting all the brown off the bottom.  - I used Swanson reduced sodium.  Again - NO msg. 
Add your spinach. 
Wilt the spinach part way. 
add a crushed tomatoes and cover with lid to let simmer and meld together. 
Add pasta when tomato starts to break down spinach is entirely wilted but still green. 

Toss and cover with your garnish. 

This is already really flavorful, but if you wanted more sauce add more tomatoes and add before the spinach  to break down into a thicker and more bodied sauce, then wilt the spinach in that as to not overcook it. 
Capers would have looked better, but I don't have any... So I just used the green olives and they tasted good with everything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment