Friday, February 11, 2011

Quinoa Stir Fry

I will have to say this isn't the most attractive dish I have ever seen.  I am really running low on stuff in my fridge!!!  I should have poured the sauce and veggies over the quinoa and that would have looked a lot more bright.  But it is really fast and tastes really yummy! It's pretty healthy, but I have to say - Not extremely, but a little high on the sodium side. You can make this with rice too - I just hadn't pulled out my quinoa in a while so I thought that I would. I get mine in the bulk section at Winco, it's a seed that packs a complete protein - Just like meat! 


Put quinoa in a strainer - You can't skip this step or it will taste NASTY - believe me I have done it before.  Quinoa comes with this powdery film that tastes disgusting.  But with a quick rinse it's all gone and you have yummy tasting goodness. 

I really really rinse mine though - Because I just don't want to chance anything being left on there.  It will ruin everything! 

After it is rinsed I put in one cup quinoa with two cup chicken broth on high.   When it starts boiling turn it down to low - Just like rice. 

This is how I make the sauce for my stir fry. Take some chicken broth. 

Add some soy sauce. Low sodium.  This could be optional if you really wanted to watch your sodium - soy sauce can be scary for those with high blood pressure. 

Mix them together. 

Add Garlic. 

Peel fresh ginger with the side of a spoon. 

See I used almost the whole thing. 

Mix it all up with any other spices you want. I just added those two things though. 

Add a heaping spoonful of corn starch - maybe two if you want really thick sauce. 

I added a small tablespoon full and the sauce was a little thin, but it was okay after it was mixed in with everything. 
Make sure it is well mixed when you add it to your stir fry - It will look all milky.


Chop up whatever veggies you want/have.  I also like water chestnuts.  I didn't really have very much - Usually my stir fry has way more color than just green.  Cut your chicken or whatever meat you want into really thing strips. 

Oil a pan. 

When it is hot, add the chicken. 

It will cook up really fast. Asian cooking has a lot of focus on efficiency - not like this is real Asian cooking by any means. 

Add you veggies, soften a little, and then add your sauce. 

Cover to allow veggies to steam. 

Uncover and allow sauce to thicken. 



To see that quinoa is done - look for the little tails to separate and the seed to be the same color  all the way through - If there are white dots in the center it isn't done yet.  Mix with veggies! Yumm all done. 


No comments:

Post a Comment