Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sushi and Bok Choy!

I am not a sushi master by any means - In fact my sushi looks pretty darn lame.  But I think it tastes okay and it is fun to make from time to time.  I don't even have a bamboo roller  :(. Also I overcooked the Boy Choy because I was distracted so the color is less green than it should be.  If you make this don't make the same mistake as me!!!!

I just salted and peppered some salmon and then put it in the oven at 400 degrees and it was done in about 7 min. 

For the rice (makes enough for two rolls exactly) take 1/2 cup of vinegar and put 2 tablespoons of sugar and let it dissolve.  Get 1 cup of  short grained brown rice and two cups of water.  Add vinegar and sugar.  Cover  on high heat until it comes to a boil then turn down to low heat.  Make sure it remains covered the whole time.



Wash and roughly chop the bok choy.  Cut of the very stiff ends but the rest of the white stuff is good to eat. 



I had this just to show you what kind of thing to buy.  

Mix about two tablespoons of Garlic Red Chili sauce with two tablespoons olive oil. 

Some sesame seeds

Some fresh basil...

finely chopped
Garlic and freshly grated ginger.






It makes a paste that looks like this. 

Add about 1/2 cup vegetable broth to make it easy to steam the Bok Choy. 





Pour over the bok choy and let saute for about 3 minutes - Just until wilted and then remove from heat. 

This is a little overdone :S  It will also continue to wilt a little when you take it away from the heat so remember that! 





I chopped up all my Salmon, some avocados, some celery, and some green peppers.  I also used some fat free cream cheese. 

When your rice is done it will be sticky and all the liquid will have evaporated.  You do not want to put it on the sushi hot, so either make it one day ahead or cool it in an ice bath before putting it onto the sushi wraps! 


Since I don't have bamboo rolls I place my sheets on wax paper. 

Spread the rice over them. 

Fill it with all the good stuff in the center. 

Looks like this.  If the cream cheese is cold it cuts fairly easily into strips. 

Roll one side over and pull it nice and tight making sure it is stuck really good and is pretty even and pressed very well. Roll the rest of the way. 
Cut into even pieced.  I like to cut in half and then half the half and half the half so I end up with eight slices if that makes sense. 


So that's it! 

I had some low sodium soy sauce with it :D Derek and I just ate off this platter the two of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment